Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine's Day Bulletin Boards

As a teacher, you are always having to come up with inspirational and meaningful activities. If you're a teacher, you know that sometimes you just don't have the time to sit and wait to be inspired. So I'm sharing two of my February bulletin boards with you teachers out there if you're in need of some inspiration.

This first one is from my second grade class last year. The title is "Can you guess our SWEET riddles?" The students traced and cut out a Hershey's Kisses from construction paper. They folded a rectangular sheet of paper in half that I had cut to the correct size so that it'd fit on their kiss, they wrote a riddle that described their favorite candy on top and put the answer underneath. Here's the final outcome:





My bulletin board this year is also a Valentine's Day themed one. We've been learning about figurative language recently. This week, we've been focusing on idioms. So, I gave each student an idiom that dealt with "heart." Here are some of the heart idioms I used:
- having a heart-to-heart
- a heart of gold
- soft-hearted
- cold-hearted
- having a big heart
- having your heart skip a beat

There's tons of them out there. Just google "heart idioms" or "Valentine's Day idioms."

The students worked with a partner. They first had to discuss and come up with the meaning of their idiom. Once I confirmed that they had the correct meaning, the students wrote a sentence using the idiom. I told them that they had to write a sentence with good context clues to help others understand the meaning of the word. I was so impressed with how well my kids did on this activity! Take a look for yourself! Oh, and this is from my third grade class. I loop.







As you can see, the students wrote the "heart idiom" on a large heart. They wrote the meaning, a sentence using the idiom, and drew an illustration on a sheet of white paper that I had provided to them. I think they did a wonderful job!

3 comments:

  1. The last photo is the best! Cutest drawing ever. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I shared the chocolate kisses with my fans at www.facebook.com/elementaryschoolbulletinboards . :)

    ReplyDelete